Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Frugal Fun: Taking the Cake

I always love the double-discovery of finding a thrift item at a garage or an estate sale, and then all of a sudden remember it after its been taken home and put away.

As you know, I love to bake, so for a friend's birthday, I decided to whip up the coconut cake from Magnolia Bakery 's cookbook filled with recipes that for me, always seem to be a success.

But when it came to serving this mound of white goodness, I couldn't decide on the right platter. I had a yellow, ruffled pedestal that I bought at Crate and Barrel several years ago or a plain, clear option, which would have looked nice against the white coconut. I was leaning toward using the my treasured, decoupaged John Derian pedestal, pictured above, until I was struck with an idea.


I remembered a 1970s piece I paid $1 for at an estate sale in Independence, Missouri, that had never been used, and now seemed like the right moment for its inauguration. I especially love how the festive message is slowly revealed as the cake starts to disappear from the platter.



Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. Greetings! I like the white-on-white -- and that one will see the message when the cake is being cut, as you say. And you did a great job on that cake, it looks delicious!
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy! I can totally relate. I am a prop stylist for food shows. Even with three storage spaces and a barn filled with props I can't stop hitting thrift shops. Often I will find a bag buried deep in one of my spaces filled with cool stuff that I never unwrapped, just sitting there in their newspaper dress just waiting to be on TV. I need to go shopping there!

    Currently working on a dessert show and pulling out all my cake stands so this post is very poignant. I love that happy birthday one, perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks wonderful regardless of which plate you chose! The happy birthday is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the MAGIC!!! You are a SWEETIE!and can make me a birthday cake/come to my party, pleaseprettyplease?? Better yet, you can make me a cake and party, lol. You have such a party style, it would be an honor, lol. BTW, I don't have any of the accounts offered, which is why I have to post anonymouly. But I do have a Yahoo account, lol. And I am A FAN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU ARE JUST TOO MUCH! LOVE YOUR BLOG. BRAVO ET MERCI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little surprises always makes the cake taste better.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin