Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Frugal Fun: Seeing Green

Before you think I've totally lost my mind -- and all semblance of taste -- I'm not necessarily endorsing this decor. It's just that every time I look at this photo, I can't help but laugh at almost every single element in the frame.

It's hard to believe that I found this kitschy little green room a few years back when I was doing a fashion shoot at a glorious, mid-century home in the Hollywood Hills. As models posed by a chic pool overlooking Sunset Boulevard, I slipped into the restroom to snap this image.

Not only did the decorator use wallpaper in the space, but she also added lime shag carpeting and accented it with framed plants stitched in relief, which are hung by plastic 1970s floral posts that coordinate perfectly with a handy room deodorizer. I don't know, but I don't think the light fixture works. Do you?

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

7 comments:

  1. I imagine a round orange mod light fixture working perfectly in this beyond kitsch room. It's tacky...and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if the light fixture works or not because this is a case of "I can't see the forrest for the trees", lol! I would title this room "Lime Attack".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Van -- I love this room, but in someone else's house. Add an orange orb pendant and remove the air spray and it's kitsch-orama fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody needs one room that is designed just for themselves. If this tiny bathroom makes the homeowner happy then I say awesome. However, I would not want to be hungover in this bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this room...wouldn't do it in my home, but I do love it. And, BTW, I do have three of those plant embroideries hanging over my washer:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog, and your insights into home improvement, DIY projects, and overall design are very interesting. Your article about this green room was especially interesting. I really liked your comments on how this room was found in a Hollywood Hills home in desperate need of a makeover. I am adding you to my favorites. Since you and your readers have a flair for interior decorating and interest in design, we thought you would especially be interested in our custom window coverings. Heritage Window Coverings is located in Huntington Beach, CA and we have a wide selection of treatments to complement any home’s interior design! Any feedback would be appreciated as well. As a special thanks to you and your readers, I would like to offer a 20% off coupon using this code upon checkout: BLG20.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin