Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Find: Clearly Accessorized

Yesterday, I talked about how a single color can unify a vignette. Quite the opposite can also true. In The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Object, and Vintage Details, we also discuss how the lack of a hue can emphasize cohesiveness among what at first glance might appear disharmonious in shape or size.

I took this photo at the farm house of a friend who lives in New Jersey. She gathered all her clear glass decanters, varied them by height and displayed them atop her pink fireplace mantle for a focal point that when the sun hits them just right is as shimmery as the Manhattan skyline.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. D'ya suppose you could get her tips for cleaning those decanters??? I have a few that I'd love to use like that - just not sure the best way to clean 'em up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grouping certainly adds to the impact as well. I would buy decanters if I actually drank wine...ehhh. This is still a great collection.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my cleaning tip...and many of you may cringe...I would put them all in the dishwasher unless they are super-precious or very old. I would remove any plastic or cork stoppers, and then just put them on a gentle wash. If that sounds disturbing, then, I would just wash them in dish soap, using a bottle brush to get the insides clean. You don't need to clean the insides ofte if they remain closed. And then just dust with a Swiffer-type wipe. Now if you had windows full of them, that's a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way that looks... beautiful... simple... LOVE IT!

    http://www.ilovecollecting10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the cleaning tip. I have 3-4 bottles very similar to a few of those and just wasn't sure how to give them their initial cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find glass cleans beautifully just with very hot water and regular washing up liquid plus lots of rinsing, again with hot water.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin