Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Frugal Fun: A Dime Apiece


Some people absolutely detest doilies. Now I wouldn't say I'm a lover or a hater, but when I ran across a box full of vintage paper Royalies from the late '50s or early '60s marked a dime a piece at a garage sale in Independence, Missouri, I picked them all up for a future project.

Here's a description from the back of one of these little retro packs:

"So many write how Royalies cut down their laundry bills, for they're as easily dispensable as paper napkins! More and more women say that they use Royalies with every meal, not merely when they entertain. You, too, can use Royalies in countless ways to brighten your home life and make eating fun!"

What might you do with a package of Royalies?

I'll show you what I'm doing with mine in a few days!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


11 comments:

  1. I decided to indulge myself with something special not too long ago and ordered some French Laundry soap and softener. When it arrived the presentation was as much fun as receiving the products. They had wrapped each bottle top in a doily and ribbon. :) Come for a visit ~ Lynn @thevintagenest

    ReplyDelete
  2. those have such lovely lace edges. Hard to find the variety anymore.

    Let's see.. this time of year, add glitter, make an ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of neutral on them myself :) I really only think about them when I see something fabulous someone is doing with them so I can't wait!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the little beauties

    ReplyDelete
  5. -gift wrapping
    -glue to the top of wrapped gifts for an accent
    -stencils: spray paint through them for a delicate print
    -paint them bright colors, then decoupage away
    -etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I hated doilies...but then I bleached them and framed them (white doily + white background + white frame) and I love them.
    -Jordana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them! I'm planning on using them for table decor at my wedding...Check out my post on doilies.
    http://prettyhautemess.blogspot.com/2010/10/did-someone-say-doily.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see how you use them. I am sure they would find their way into some type of craft at my house. Loving the vintage package and the name Royalies, too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should check out Sweet Paul's blog...I think it's on Typepad...but, he has done some really cool things with doilies in the past...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love "Royalies" they remind me of growing up. So cool. This year I hung white ones up on my twig tree as snowflakes and put them inside an empty frame behind some beads and sparkle. I do adore how they "fancy up" a plate of appetizers. Now I need to see what you did...

    Jennifer Duchene
    Home Makeover Mixtress
    http://home-decorating-makeovers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to share them very soon....have a bit of glittering to do!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin