Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Find: Warm Weather, Please

On this chilly, Kansas City day where the effects of a blizzard has paralyzed the East Coast and there's icy frost on the trees here in the Midwest, I'm longing for the the simplicity of a beach cottage -- one practically under-decorated with finishes that have faded under the sun's constant caress and textures speckled and splotched by the salty air's kiss.

Just like I did about this time a year ago, I decided to share with you some images I photographed on the Fire Island community of Saltaire while doing research for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details.

Mary-Ellen Weinrib, a home stylist who has spent her summers on Saltaire for more than 20 year, took me on a tour of her home and I snapped away inspiration that I haven't shown anyone until now -- a framed poppy canvas casually leaned on the mantle of a weathered fireplace, an intimate view through a painted screen door into a crisp-white guest room, or even the
lovely, washed-out family photographs that accentuate the setting of a brilliant sun porch.

It's because of beautiful places like these that Mary-Ellen shared with me and gracious supporters like you that The Find is an enduring reality. And like I've told you before, if you purchase a copy of The Find, let me know, and I'll gladly send you a personalized bookplate.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin