Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reuse & Repurpose: Purses in Their Place

I'll admit it. I have a thing for vintage handbags.

But don't ever expect to see me carrying one.

Instead, I carefully select these by-gone beauties at thrift stores and garage sales and transform them into gifts that I call Hooch Bags, pretty purses filled with funny money, candy cigarettes and a discrete nip -- a little naughty, but a whole lot nice. They make great hostess gifts and are a hit at wedding parties or other special gatherings.

Here's another fun use for vintage handbags: use them as place cards that guests can take home as a parting gift. I saw this idea at the Los Angeles County Fair's tabletop competition. This display was themed, "Ladies Luncheon for Four Femmes Fatales of Film Noir. "

Talk about giving a whole lot of personality to bunch of old bags!


Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. Lol..."Dont expect to see me carrying one"...classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooch bags. You slay me in the most sensational way! J'adore, and now I have a clear, completely fun focus for holiday gifting for my lady chums :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. It would make a fun gift for hard to buy for teenage girls. Vintage bags filled with the foil wrapped gold coin chocolates and the sucker rings. I am going hunting for more girly related candies and then I can tuck in a little gift card to boot.You have solved a lot of gift giving problems for Christmas. Thanks muchly

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is indeed some amazing thinking for gift-giving! I might have to steal this idea. Next time I see a lady's bag for pocket change I'll have to scoop it up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin