Monday, November 15, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Of the Cloth


Among my favorite finds at flea markets, garage sales and thrift stores are vintage tablecloths and colorful cloth napkins. Like these eye-catching examples I found at The Vintage Laundress's booth at the Texas Antique Weekend last year. I always keep a vintage tablecloth on my dining room table, and I use cloth napkins every day, even though I only iron them when guests are on their way.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

5 comments:

  1. My favorites too! I love all the colors and prints and little crocheted edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I've never really looked at fabrics at the thrifts. I usually make a beeline for the housewares, but lately have been making an effort to look at textiles. Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use Vera Neumann napkins every day. I can't imagine ever going back to paper. And her designs are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you and ATG on this. Me 'n the mister gave the paper napkin thing the BOOTlast spring and WE'RE NEVER GOING BACK TO PAPER (though, in a pinch---like a communicable disease--we'll use paper towels.)Here's how we do it: we use a retro vintage LUSTRO WARE 60s plastic napkin holder(thrifted for 50 cents) thrifted VERAs (via thrift store or etsy--mostly thrifted) and a set of brand-new vintage, complete-with-box lucite napkin rings from ebay, my one big splurge. They are in fabulous primary colors and match all my napkins. We each picked a color (me, red; him, green) and store our daily napkins. Easy/breezy/bountiful! And, like you, ET, I NEVER iron unless I'm getting guests. Though with the VERAs, ironing is not as necessary as with some of my older vintage pieces. I have a hard time walking away from vintage linens. They are always so unique and glorious. And if they're handmade--OOO-LA! Drool-a-licous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin