Monday, November 8, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Living Life to the Fullest


Sometimes the most cherished memories are evoked by objects of small monetary value but rich in the sentiments they hold.

Like me, my sister enjoys thrift shopping and was on a mission to find a version of a once-common souvenir plate that she remembers hanging in my Grandma Churchill's bedroom -- one that my mother remembers gluing back together when it once shattered to bits. So any time she found her self looking at odd dishes at garage sales or perusing the knickknacks of an estate sale, she always kept that special plate on her wish list. Just last week her efforts payed off when she stopped in on a sale from my childhood neighborhood and upon entering immediately spotted the plate, for which she paid $2.

While not a rare antique find of of high pedigree, this treasured plate with its simple, heartfelt message rings true to my sister: "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter




3 comments:

  1. The best thing about this plate is how Grandma Churchill lived this sentiment to the fullest. She overcame more adversities than most people will ever experience but she was always extending a hand to a friend in need, smiling, cracking a joke, and moving forward in life. This plate is a great reminder to forget the past and embrace the future! How exciting!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful message and a beautiful plate. When I'm caught up in the now and working so hard that life passes me by, I like to think of messages like the one on the plate you've shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW! Never give up! What a treasure-I'm sure it occupies a special place and a special memory-
    Thank you for sharing-

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin