Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Find: A Thrifty Reminder

I've given the warning before, but I'll do it again.

As much as we love our thrifting -- our picking up fun knickknacks, our perusing pretty little somethings,and handing over our nickels and dimes for a treasured discovery -- try never to let yourself become a Thriftzilla, a gluttonous thrift hoarder gobbling up all kinds of shiny goodies in its path.

It's easy to fall prey to the temptation, especially when we see all kinds of objects that tempt us with their inexpensive prices and vintage charm. Sometimes we feel like grabbing everything laid out in front of us, quite often leaving nothing for the next poor soul just looking for a little thrifty morsel or two.

See, I even gave you a picture of what I imagine Thriftzilla looks like just to keep you scared.

Sometimes it takes enormous willpower to remain patient -- and stay generous. Save up that thrift good thrift karma, for you never know when you'll need to tap into that extra boost, especially when you find yourself in the situation of discovering an item that seems to have come from a set-- say an odd lamp or a charming piece of furniture -- only to wonder, "Will I ever find my beloved discovery's mate?" Most often, you will -- and it will probably happen when you least expect it and most likely in an unanticipated locale. If you're not a Thriftzilla, patience and persistence will pay off along your thrifty journey to bring you that missing treasure.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. Stan,
    What a wonderful post and such great advice. As a “reformed” “thriftaholic” myself I truly understand what you mean. – G
    P.S. Loving the picture !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, Very wise advice. There is a Thriftzilla in my town, she looks like the photo, only she has red hair. I can only imagine what her home looks like. Great post, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know...I know...you are talking to me when I find Christmas stuff. It's just so haaaaaaaaard to NOT buy them when they are 5 cents Stan! Now I am going to have visions of that damn scary Thriftzilla when I find a crazy good sale. Great.
    Hugs anyway, Sonya:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you been peeking in my closets?
    No, really -- good solid advice. Every bargain does not have to find a home in my house. Only the really GOOD ones do. :-P
    Happy November!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonya, it's ok to buy lots! I would do the same thing. But you *know* what I'm talking about; the ogre who swoops in over a table and swipes it before anyone else can take a crumb... maybe even pulls it from under your gaze. I am certain that is NOT you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it takes extraordinary willpower to prevent becoming the thriftzilla. I encounter amazing and cheap vintage bits that I leave behind all the time. (Even if it buuurns). And if I find out I didn't need something I thrifted for after all...back to the thrift store it goes, cycle begins anew! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin