Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Find: Furniture from the Past

Last year while thrifting in Fort Lauderdale at the Faith Farm Thrift Store, I saw a desk that reminded me of the one that I've shared with you in my author photo that appears in The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. I'll show it again since after shaving the 'stache I now look like I did when I perched on the desk from my college thrifting years for the photo taken by Bob Greenspan in my sister's back yard.

The desk I'm sitting on was found in the early 1980s for $10 at a Goodwill in Independence, Mo. I used it when I was in journalism school and wrote many term papers banged out on my dad's old Smith Corona manual typewriter. It had dings and scratches abound, but my dad lovingly refinished it and it now lives in my sister's home office.

The desk I spied in Fort Lauderdale reminded me of the one in Independence, even though it is twice the size of the one my dad restored. I fantasized about purchasing it for the $19 asking price, but if I had, not only would I have had to ship it, but in my Manhattan apartment it would have had to serve as a work space a dining table, a dresser, a craft table and a credenza!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrfiter

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's an amazing and interesting post.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin