Monday, October 25, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Working Girl

Dolly Parton is one of those people who, for me, never fails to inspire. Whether it's her rags-to-riches story or a certain happiness that beams from within, I've been a fan of hers since I was a child.

I always use Dolly as an example of how someone has created a brand image that she continues to nurture and preserve throughout the years. For her fans, Dolly sees it as her job to always be Dolly. In fact, I've heard her say that she sleeps in full makeup and keeps a wig and heels by her bed so that in case there's a fire when she's on the road, she can always run out of a burning building while remaining in character. I can't imagine seeing Dolly boarding a plane without a pile of hair on her head, her signature long acrylic nails or false eye lashes while wearing a track suit and sneakers.

That is not Dolly! And Dolly says she'd never want her fans to see her that way.

A few years back while thrift shopping in Waxhaw, North Carolina, I can't believe I had my peripheral vision turned off and didn't spy this behind-the-scenes print from the movie classic, "9 to 5." All youthful and starry eyed, Dolly is surrounded by her co-stars Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda. What's more, it's signed! Thanks to my eagle-eyed shopping partner who bought it for a couple of bucks, sneaked it back to New York and offered it as a Christmas gift, this treasure now hangs in a place of honor on the step leading to my living room.

It's Monday, so back to work!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. Halloween would be a good opportunity for you to fully express your fascination with and admiration of Dolly.

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite movies. Lucky you! I was a secy when this came out and brother, could I relate! All the unfair sexist work stuff actually happened and was considered perfectly normal in the workforce (for all you young'uns out there who doubt the realism of the office politics plot) My favorite scene: Lily Tomlin's fantasy. It's EXACTLY how I felt about working 9-5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. with our shared love of dolly and my being from (and living in) her neck of the woods, i just don't see why we can meet her one day! i believe it can happen.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin