Monday, October 18, 2010

The Object of My Desire: A Day at the Zoo



































A while back, I shared some old photographs of my sister and me in the children's area at the Kansas City Zoo. I still remember the squishy, carpeted tongue of a whale that you had to walk upon to enter its white ribbed interior. (The one in the picture above is a smaller version.) And I can also recall climbing the ladder up into this old yellow show to take a ride down what seemed at the time the longest slide in the world.

Recently, I went back to the zoo with my family much like we did many years ago, except this time with my little nephew Grayson in tow. We watched the zebras plucking leaves from a tree branch, a show-off polar bear doing back flips, and elephants, well, as Grayson put it... making a great big potty!

While many of the attractions have been modernized and some completely removed like the playground pieces I shared above, I did find a photograph of them, which, in turn, I photographed!


There were a few things that still looked like they did decades ago, such as the sea lion area, where they've been giving pretty much the same fun-filled show for decades!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter



1 comment:

  1. Hi Stan,

    Awww ... what cuties you and your sister were! Thanks for sharing the pictures, your memories, and the update on how the zoo has evolved.

    Thank you for stopping by last week and leaving the thoughtful comment. I'm recycling those same flowers this week (amazing how long mums last, isn't it???).

    Hope you have a great week!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin