Friday, October 22, 2010

The Gift of Thrift: A Wedding to Remember


A couple of weeks ago I headed out to Napa Valley for the wedding of two dear friends who married at a gorgeous vineyard near Callistoga, California. Robyn and Larry are unique souls who have dated since high school and finally decided to tie the knot among a few friends and family at a personalized ceremony that was one of the most beautiful gatherings I've ever witnessed. It was a personal and warm affair that cleverly showed off the personalities of the bride and the groom, both of whom are avid fans of vintage and thrift.



When I heard a year ago that Robyn and Larry had engaged, I started collecting thrifty finds that I thought would make a special offering for their wedding day. Would you like to see what is inside this package wrapped in pretty paper that cost more than the entire gift itself and tied up in a ribbon that came from a Kansas City estate sale?



Since both are Chicago natives, I bought this 1960s ashtray at the Texas Antique Weekend so they could always remember their hometown of Chicago. I located the funny wooden salad set at a flea market in New Jersey, and the still-in-the-box Irish linens at a garage sale in Independence, Missouri.

It took about a year to gather these goodies, but I always kept Robyn and Larry in the back of my mind when I was out thrifting, and eventually, like all good things in life, everything finally came together at just the right time!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift! Anyone can buy a toaster but gifts like this are what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stan,
    The happy couple must have been delighted (but not surprised) by your thoughtful gifts. Great items; great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, Stan, a thoughtful and meaningful presentation!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice gift! I must tell you it is with much delight that I read about your bags. Your story line is just a fun, fun read. Keep up the great work! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is nice gift.Buy Camera & Photo, Clothing & Accessories, Computers & Accessories, Electronics & Photo, Entertainment & Home Theater and do Online Cheapest Shopping from our store at Mallroad247.com.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin