Friday, October 29, 2010

The Gift of Thrift: Goodwill to the Rescue

When I was preparing to bake a pineapple upside-down cake for a friend's birthday last week, I decided to let the Goodwill thrift gods decide what shape I would make. You see, I quite enjoy making heart-shaped cakes, but often, the thrifted platters I save for such occasions aren't big enough for those romantic shapes. So off to Goodwill I headed with an open mind to whatever round, square, oblong or novelty shape I might pop up.

And pop up, quite literally, it did! I breezed through the front door and immediately headed to the housewares section (30 seconds) where I looked down and saw this heart-shaped platter for $2 (one minute). I then walked to the counter (30 seconds), and paid for it (two minutes), and was out the door, with p-l-e-n-t-y of time to bake!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. The cake was spectacular, of course, and the platter is now hosting my tea kettle, cup and sugar bowl on my desk! A wonderful birthday gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stan!!!! You had me at pineapple upside down cake. When I saw it in a heart shape, I swooned. And the kicker: You manage to be a fabulous baker AND stay sexy and trim. How??? XO Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta loves the thrift gods. Pineapple upside down cake...droool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So darling! Love those fast and furious Goodwill scores!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The goodwill find is certainly a first.. Great cake, great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful cake like yours deserves a beautiful plate! You were obviously meant to have it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin