Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Frugal Fun: Hard Wired


Even though it may be completely outdated and in many cases non-functional, old technology still seems to carry a warmth that today's counterparts just don't hold. It was a sad day recently when I learned that my parents tossed out one of the very last televisions made in the U.S. -- an old Zenith console that was made in Springfield, Missouri just before the plant closed. I understand their getting rid of it: they simply had accumulated too many old TVs in their basement. And I appreciate their efforts to get it recycled, even though it meant hauling the hulking piece of furniture all the way over to downtown Kansas City.

I took this photo a while back. (It must have been at least three years because it's part of an old promotion for Nike footwear!) I like the way the wooden turntable is placed upon the 1970s and 1980s TV sets with simulated wood grain, right next to a silver boom box exactly like the one I had in high school. Oh yes...exactly...Montgomery Ward Signature brand. Not only did it have a cassette deck, but it was also equipped with an eight-track tape player -- the peak of audio in the day!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. I heard yesterday that Sony will no longer make its iconic Walkman -- another piece of technology joining the ranks of Victrolas, 8-track decks, and Betamax players. Could VCRs be next?

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  2. DavidLaneBruce@mac.comOctober 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM

    Hey Stan-

    Love your blog ! Am I stupid or is your subscribe to down?

    Please sign me up-

    DavidLaneBruce@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found an old console TV in a fabulous cabinet with folding doors at an antique mall for $25!!! Why didn't I buy it? It would have made a great bar cabinet or maybe an aquarium or something... I may have to run back out there and see if it is still there!!! (Kicking myself all the way)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin