Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reuse & Repurpose: TKO

You never know where you'll discover an ingeniuos example of repurposing old items, and today's example comes from the Jack Gage American Tavern in Kansas City, Missouri. On the suggestion of my photographer pal Bob Greenspan, we stopped in on the new establishment a couple of weeks ago for a late dinner, and I became mesmerized by the unique bar d├ęcor.

The waiter told me that the piece came from an actual traveling boxing show that toured the U.K during the early- and mid- 20th Century. The top photo is of the boxing tent's exterior in 1955. Once the owners of the Kansas City establishment brought it to the U.S., they carefully cut out pieces in it to show off their offerings and their big-screen TV, and saved the interior pieces to show off as artthroughout the restaurant.

What a knock out!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool, I gotta send the link to my sister who lives in MO. Thanks for sharing! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received your book. Love it. I'm really enjoying taking my time to read it and admire the wonderful photos. Great inspiration! Hey, your mom and I have the same name! My maiden name was Delores Williams!
    Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors- wow! This is amazing graphic design and adds a homey vintage feel to the tavern. Very inspiring, and it's heartwarming to see an old piece celebrated and rescued from the junk heap!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin