Monday, September 27, 2010

The Object of My Desire: A Teeny Tiny Cup

While my sister Cheryl and I were hitting garage and estate sales last week in Independence, Missouri, we kept our eyes open for goodies that we thought our mom might like for her upcoming birthday. I picked up some old wallpaper and ribbons that I used to gift wrap a vintage puzzle I had for Mom, but Cheryl hit the jackpot at an estate sale with this miniature treasure -- a crocheted teacup and saucer no bigger than a thimble.

I don't have a lot of crochet items myself, but I love admiring them for the many hours, the steady hand and the untiring eye their creators must have put into their loving task. And every time I see such an accomplishment, I'm always reminded of a friend of my Grandma Churchill who tatted lace on a broomstick and my own Grandma Williams who was known to work up a doll-faced potholder ensemble or two.

Mom has certainly spend some hours crocheting over the years. There's still the blue-toned afghan she made that has been in the family since I was a child and the delicate angel decorations that sometimes make it to the Christmas tree. And then Cheryl, when she puts her mind to it, is the power afghan crocheter extraordinaire. Just ask my LA pal Ruth Handel who has had one of Cheryl's jewel-toned creations on her living room sofa since she married.

I've limited my own display of crochet pieces to another of my sisters afghan masterpieces that rests happily on a side chair in my living room. Every time I wrap up in it on a chilly day or offer it to an overnight guest, I imagine it offering the same kind of cheery welcome as this warm and cozy little cup of tea.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


2 comments:

  1. A very sweet little craft. My mom was always crocheting when I was very young. I've learned to knit a little but have no time to whip up a scarf...time to drop some hints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. I have never see one so small. Love the red color.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin