Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Garage Sale Goodness: Thrift Karma Revisited

On the second day of hitting garage and estate sales with my sister in Independence, Missouri, I had to call my thrifty pal Ruth Handel to share with her some anecdotes from our amazing treasure hunt. I had just picked up several boxes at $3 apiece packed with ribbons, ephemera and Christmas goodies at the home of an accomplished puppetry enthusiast and breathlessly recounted to her my discoveries.

Ruth promised to come to Kansas City one day, and at the end of the conversation, I asked her what she might be looking for. "I'm not looking for anything. I don't need anything," she told me. "I just like to go and look, but if you happen to see anything nautical; that's what I'm kind of in to."

We said our goodbyes, and my sister and I went back to my parents house where I started savoring the contents of of my $3 boxes. Packed into a box of old leaflets and travel brochures, and without my knowing it, I had netted several sea-worthy discoveries -- three cardboard sailor boys, a British guide to sea safety and a booklet about tying knots. Into an envelope they went on their way to Ruth in Los Angeles.

If you're asking why the vintage TG&Y construction paper is grouped in there when it's not necessarily nautical, I thought Ruth might use it to make some folded sailor's caps!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. You're such a nice brother! Your sister will love her nautical gifts. Speaking of gifts, I just ordered your book from Amazon. A gift to me! Looking forward to receiving it. Love your blog and I follow you on Twitter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brother Stan! Loved the gifts--and especially the construction paper! Paper hats off to you!!!!!

    Now... get me to Kansas City!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a firm believer in Thrift Karma. I've made some of my best finds after making dog rescue deliveries. What goes around...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin