Friday, September 24, 2010

Garage Sale Goodness: The Gift of Thrift

The Gift of Thrift is unlikely to be something you are specifically shopping for. Instead, it's probably an item or two that seem to appear magically when you least expect it. That's what happened as I was walking through Carroll Gardens Brooklyn one Sunday and spied a sign promising a stoop sale. Even though my traveling partners grumbled and groaned about going out of our way to indulge my curiosity, we headed over and I immediately spied this octagonal jigsaw puzzle made by Springbok in 1967.


I thought of all the fun we used to have as kids putting together puzzles, and how my mom and her mother seemed to always enjoy accomplishing the most difficult jigsaw puzzles in either monotone colors or with teeny tiny pieces. Mom's birthday was coming up and I hadn't found a gift for her yet, so I snagged this find right off the sidewalk for $1.

Once I arrived in my hometown of Independence, Missouri, last week with my cardboard treasure packed in the bottom of my bag, my sister and I were off to garage and estate sales. And before I knew it, I had found both the wrap (a 5-cent piece of wallpaper) and the ribbon (about 15-cents a roll) and Mom's birthday gift complete.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

5 comments:

  1. The way you think about the person you are gifting always touches my heart...anyone can go to Macy and pick out a bottle of perfume...this is mindful gifting. And the wrapping is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you greatly. Shopping in Mo., oh what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly perfect gift (& even better a real steal). Puzzles were big in our home; as a kid and for my children as well. Gifts that truly mean something, especially evoking a memory are priceless. Loved it! Hope your having a lovely Sunday ~ deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, you talented and thrifty siblings, it looks great! Keep up the good work, kiddos. Hope your mum enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much the tutorial that was a great gift idea I love it. Keep posting!

    toni

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin