Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Frugal Fun: What A Scream


With the Summer of 2010 having made room for autumn, I wanted to share with you some thrilling images of my Labor Day Weekend visit to Coney Island in Brooklyn. While they've made many changes to the boardwalk and the attractions there, the experience still retains the charm of years past, and yes, the The Cyclone still stands just as it has since 1927 rocking and rolling along its wooden peaks and valleys.

Now I had ridden The Cyclone many years ago and assured Veli, who had never been on a roller coaster before, that it was a piece of cake. Remember, I practically grew up in an amusement park in Kansas City, and for me, the scarier the coaster the better.



The sign in the entrance seemed slightly more alarming than I remember, but in a matter of seconds we would be twisting and serving along the ocean skyline. Good thing I left my wig at home!


Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. Stan,
    Thank you for the flash back... Only seems like yesterday... Anyway, I noticed form the picture of you guys have fun that the seats and lap bars look to have a whole lot more padding than I recall. Decades upon decades ago those hard wooden seats and simple metal lap bars added to the fun because you slide around and became a touch air borne at times. Oh the good old day, just how unsafe we were. - G

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Fun! Veli is smiling, did he want to ride it a second time or was once enough??
    Hugs, Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you two look so cute! Glad you made it out to Coney Island, as that place always evokes fond memories. Ah, the smells of sea salt art mingled with that of candy apples and popcorn! And the screams and squeals. Love it! Best, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vintage design of old theme park rides but my phobia of heights prevents me from riding one. Nope. never. Love your pictures, though!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin