Thursday, September 2, 2010

Frugal Fun: Rooftop Dining

Eating out in New York always brings with it some sort of unusual experience, epecially when taking a meal outdoors, just like the recent brunch we had on the rooftop garden of Justine's in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. As I was sipping my iced latte, I looked over the ledge of the dining area and notices a pepper shaker that must have rolled off a table and hit the skylight below. I also imagined a testy guest demanding pepper and an irate waiter tossing the container at him, missing, and flying off the edge. (Our servers were quite lovely, thank you, so why would I think something like that?)
Then I leaned over a little farther and discovered a choice of knives -- one for butter and another for steak!

And then when I stretched my head out even farther, I saw a virtual tabletop of useful items -- a fork, another knife, a menu, a broken champagne glass with a cigarette butt in it and the lighter that may have lit it.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. Makes you wonder what could have happened....so many stories could come out of all the discarded items!

    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats too funny I wonder what else over the years has gone over the edge a dinner roll or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did each one land there over a period of time? Or did someone decide to break up with their lover over lunch or dinner thinking that they would be too embarrassed in front of everyone to make a scene only to discover they were horribly wrong as the jilted lover began to throw every item on the table within reach at the heartless ex companion and after the table had no more weapons to offer the heartbroken one stormed off leaving the heartbreaker to pay the bill. All this happening of course after the meal before desert as there are no plates on the landing.

    That's my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for discoverng these little losses and giving them dignity.

    Since I've moved to my new apartment, I've dropped a knife, a cat toy, a pack of matches, and and several clothes pins between the boards of my deck. By the time I move again, the underside of the deck will be like a time capsule, documenting my time in the space (and my cat's time, too).

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a funny post. I loved it.. A great way to lighten the day. I imagine that Mr. Cig decided to light up and that Mrs NoCig said enough. he didn't get the message, she snubbed the cigarette into the glass, and then he picked up his knife and in turn mrs. Nocig picked up the steak knife, stabbed Mr. Cig and his knife went flying.... and that is the rest of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all of these imaginative stories! I'll tell you what I find when I pull out the refrigerator. Yikes!! Stan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin