Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Reuse & Repurpose: A Little Inspiration

As you know, I rarely write about new furniture, but this table at Restoration Hardware recently caught my eye not only for its elegant, textural qualities but also because of its repurposed origins.

Crafted from wood harvested from 100-year-old buildings in Great Britain, this table was conceived by London antiques dealer and reproductionist Timothy Oulton and retails for about $2,500.

Crate and Barrel also has several repurposed pieces in its collection this season, including this rustically modern Seguro coffee table, $699, created out of peroba wood plucked from collapsed buildings in Brazil.

This concept of reclaiming unwanted wood and making it into fine furniture got me thinking of all the tilted barns and dilapidated side buildings that dot the Midwest countryside.

An outdated outhouse transformed into a fancy side table? A chicken coop refashioned as country-chic armoire? Or maybe a barn door retooled for a charming headboard? I'm not joking!

So if you catch me carrying off hunks of your deteriorated old buildings, don't shoot! I promise to share the profits! Really!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing how more and more, retailers are getting in on antique furniture market, and selling it higher, sometime much higher than the new. However, I really believe that RH is trying to convince us that these items are made from reclaimed wood. I don't believe that these pieces are made entirely of reclaimed, maybe a portion, maybe. Just my thought on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonia,

    Thanks for popping by. Just the tabletop on the Restoration Hardware table is of salvaged pine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that table when I saw it! I have a load of old decking and misc. pieces of wood I have been stockpiling and I made a coffee table from some of it. Now I am thinking of a whole new "urban industrial rustic theme". Thanks for sharing these great "new" tables. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! So funny you are writing this; my new Gaslamp article is on Architectural Antiques (i.e., weird pieces of old buildings that one might purchase and repurpose).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin