Monday, August 9, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Wipe Your Feet


If you've followed me for any length to time, you probably know that it's easy for me to turn nostalgic for France, especially Paris, my favorite place in the whole world, and Bordeaux, where I studied at the university there. This sign posted near the door of a shop on Broadway made me think especially of Bordeaux on a rainy day, when the main cobblestone pedestrian area, rue Ste. Catherine, became slick as ice as soon as the drops started to fall.

With its translation of "Wipe your feet, please," this demure metal reminder also carries my thoughts to the days in France when people rarely (actually never) picked up after their pets. Literally, people in Bordeaux walked looking down -- not because they were unfriendly or aloof. They were simply trying to avoid disaster, especially on rue Ste. Catherine, which was a major wipe-out zone, particularly when it rained.

So without wandering farther down what could be called a slippery slope, I'll just say that I always try to wipe my feet before entering one's home or business. It doesn't hurt, and it's the polite thing to do, s'il vous plaît.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. Love the sign, perhaps I should get one for our house :-)

    Leeann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom taught us to always wipe our feet before entering the house. That is a habit I have formed even to this day and taught my kids the same whether entering their own homes or visiting. I am a stickler about touching the bottoms of shoes too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet you have some great stories of your time there while in school....i'm so clutzy already, maybe i should move to france where i can freely walk looking down and not be thought rude one bit! happy monday monsieur! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin