Monday, August 23, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Out of the Blue

Like many people who wrap memories around objects, I sometimes find it difficult to let go of items that carry special sentiments of times spent with good friends in unique places. This blue vase has lived with me for at least 15 years, having been discovered in a thrift store at Coney Island.

It was a sunny, summer day that we hopped the subway and traveled out to the gorgeous New York boardwalk to celebrate the annual Mermaid Parade, and of course, I found a bargain on this blue glass. I covered it up in paper, put it in a plastic bag and toted it around all day long along boardwalk and right on the beach. Why, I even held onto it for dear life as we rode the infamous Cyclone roller coaster -- twice!

I let this blue vase go at the Carroll Garden's stoop sale this past weekend, but as I sold it I told the buyer, a livery cab driver who had spied it from his car and asked where I found it. "I thought you were going to say you bought it in Italy or France, or something, but Coney Island?"

He still bought it for the asking price of $5, proudly took it back to his car and drove off!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


4 comments:

  1. I too have been editing out my array of things both loved and not so much! It is a good feeling when you know someone else will enjoy it!!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. We moved into this home a year ago, I've put items for a 'garage sale' in the garage and they've sat there for the year. Something about pricing things just stalls me! You cannot imagine how many of those items have returned to their place inside!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vase. Love it. Hope it makes the livery driver smile every time he sees it. Funny how we know when it is time to let something go, hopefully to another good home? Can't help it, following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad that your treasures got a good home....hope your sale went well! if only it had been labor day weekend, i would've been there for sure! looking forward to following your flea market tips on my visit! hell's kitchen here i come!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin