Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reuse & Repurpose: I've Lost My Head

There seems to be a theme developing over the past two days -- severed heads. As you know if you've been visiting for a while, I am not a ghoulish, macabre person. I do, however, love the way an atmosphere gets an unexpected lift with the placement of odd or unusual objects.

At a recent gathering at some friend's home in Queens, this Roman's head lounges on a tabletop illuminated by chic, mix-and-match candlesticks, and a lush spray of orchids hovers over and a spread worthy of being documented as a master's still life.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

8 comments:

  1. Good morning! I just discovered your blog recently and am very much enjoying it.

    I really love your Queens friend's Roman head table arrangement. But, even though I collect some pretty "scary looking" (according to my children) antique dolls, I'm not sure I could live with the secretary of doll heads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful table. I love the head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I've seen plastic doll heads scattered about and that creeps me out. But stone Roman heads, I love it! Go figure.

    beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I love the table, especially the candlestick holders. Everything is so cheerful over here, not like at my blog. I got upset yesterday and went on a little rant.
    Au Revoir,
    ♥Danette

    ReplyDelete
  5. more inspiration from the ever fabulous elegant thrifter. heady stuff!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came by my plaster severed head honestly; it's from a large bust of Shakespeare that got me through my English major in college, and then years later was broken in a flood at my house. I could only save poor Will's head.

    Right now he's perched on the parlor mantel, along with some hydrangea blossoms and old Big Lots candlesticks. It's the first picture in this blog post:

    http://cass-thatoldhouse.blogspot.com/2010/07/meet-hale-street-studio-beauties.html

    My family thinks my Shakespeare head is a tad creepy; thanks for validating my bit of the Bard!
    Best wishes, Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to keep an eye out for a head to display just to see how it changes the mood. It won't look as fab as your friend's that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like it.....your friend is giving a whole new meaning to creepy chic!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin