Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Reuse & Repurpose: Come on In!

On Monday, I talked about my love of old screen doors. Here's another example that I photographed while scouting on the Fire Island community of Saltaire. The simplicity of this screen door makes it a welcoming site, and if you look closely, you'll notice how this old-fashioned wooden door has been given a little rustic update.

Do you see it?

Instead of the traditional metal pull, this door's handle is made out of a tree branch -- an easily found object in any beach community. Not only is this door knob an entirely green option, but it's also a clever way to solve a problem when a hardware store might not be handy.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter



8 comments:

  1. I love this small touch to this door. Who would have thought!

    LuLu~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. STAN, LONG TIME NO HEAR FROM. BEEN BUSY TRAVELLING FOR "JUNQUE" STOP BY & SAY HI GIO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love screen doors too and I just noticed a beautiful pair on my neighbor's door down the street. It's a craftsman house so I guess you couldn't really call them French doors but there are two side by side and the the color combination is the same:
    green and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that door handle. I live in the country and I think I will put one on my screen door in place of the old metal one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone for brutal honesty? Love the screen door. The handle I can live without. I like the traditional, metal pull. Sorry I can't say thumbs up this time.
    Au Revoir,
    ♥Danette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats one thing I love about Lake Life, is that the screen door is a sub culture of its own. In some cases its an intercom, when passers by shout a friendly "Hello any one home?" before nocking. 9 times out of 10 My screen door is flung wide open to the lounge (the way the house is built when that doos is open it sucks air through the rooms, and is sometimes better than the AC!. In another way its nostalgic hearing 3 or 4 times over a weekend some Parent yelling down the road "DONT SLAM THAT D*%N DOOR!!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that door handle!
    And I love your blog :)
    From Argentina,
    Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog via Hollywood Forever, Kevin. I am crazy about old fashioned screen doors. I am planning on posting a story about one we're making for our door at our house in a bit. Reggie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin