Monday, August 2, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Seeds and All


I am a watermelon snob.

I can't help it, it's just the way I was raised. Having grown up on watermelons harvested in rich clay soil of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, few melons can compare to the ones that come from these regions. The subtle sweetness, the way the dewy flesh melts in your mouth, and even the seeds are among my favorite summertime memories.

And may I add that I only like watermelon in the summertime. I don't mind eating berries year-round, but watermelon never tastes good in the dead of winter or at an autumnal table.
And why is it that in New York only seedless versions of watermelons are sold in most stores? I wonder if other watermelon snobs would agree with me that seedless watermelons just don't taste as good. I'll take the seeds and spit them out. Isn't that half the fun, anyway?

Surprisingly, I found this watermelon a couple of years ago in Croatia at a roadside stand just outside the capital city of Zagreb. It was full of seeds and was just as sweet as the ones I remember my Uncle Tab growing on the farm outside of Mulberry, Arkansas. The Croatian varieties were so good that ate one every day while I was there. Seriously!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. i have to admit i've never been that excited about watermelon. although, it does seem like a very summery food to me. oh, and cute photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't decide what i like better....your sweet love of watermelons or the fact that your family lived near a place called Mulberry....that is the most darling name i've ever heard! i want to live in mulberry now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to have the seeds. It "ain't" watermelon unless it has the seeds. Funny story. I found out I was expecting in the summer of 1977. For the first time ever my grandfather grew watermelons and asked everyone up for a watermelon party when they were ready. In January I found out I was having twins. My grandfather said I must have swallowed too many watermelon seeds from the watermelons he grew that summer. He never grew watermelons again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in Arkansas, the watermelons (and sweet corn) are in full force. Trucks by the roadside with half a split melon laying on the sidewalk. I know that means "Watermelon's For Sale", but I've often wondered if people in other areas would know what that maens. I really think it is an Arkansas thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am a watermelon snob. Seeded watermelons are known to be sweeter. I'm in Texas, and I also have a hard time finding seeded watermelons in the stores. Finally found and bought one last week at a roadside farmer's market in Oklahoma. Best watermelon I'd had all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I liked watermelon - but I don't, for some odd reason.

    But I had to write anyway just to say that that's an adorable photo of you and the watermelon. It's definitely worth saving and blowing up, poster size. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin