Friday, July 16, 2010

The Gift of Thrift: It's a Crewel Summer

Sometimes when people go searching for a gift they have a hard time finding what they think they want. I rarely have that problem -- especially when I'm shopping at thrift stores and garage sales -- because I just let the goodies find me. That's the beauty of perusing second-hand goods; when you find a potential present that costs pennies on the dollar, you can buy it without worrying about how much you are spending.

The trick, however, is to remember that this item is something you bought to offer someone else. You may adore your little purchase, but make sure you love it enough to set it free, as hokey as that sounds!

That's what happened when I spied this "Summer Bloom" Creative Crewel Stitchery kit, all for one dollar in a Kansas City thrift shop. Not only did it make me think of my dear pal Ruth Handel in Los Angeles, but it also reminded me of a beautiful crewel bouquet that my mom stitched up for my grandmother many years ago.

This finished basket of colorful posies hung in Grandma Churchill's bedroom for several years collecting lots of farm dust. It, too, came from a kit that Mom transformed into this bright,floral fantasy.

I don't know if Ruth will actually turn her bag of yarn and canvas into a potential work of art, but if she wants, I might just be able to have my arm twisted into doing it myself.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


4 comments:

  1. I'll bet your arm wouldn't have to be twisted very far...very cute, witty post!
    Au Revoir,
    ♥Danette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you find one of those flower kits, think of me!! I can never find them, and I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the basket of posies your Mom made for your Grandmother...

    I've only just recently started giving family and friends my thrifty finds from estate sales as birthday and Christmas gifts. I used to feel a little guilty that I wasn't spending more on their gifts - but it's the smile on their face that really matters. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. vintage crewel/needlepoint is becoming increasingly popular with the etsy-shopping-younger-hipster-girl demographic. whenever i put any of it in my shop, it goes quickly!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin