Friday, July 30, 2010

Free Fridays: In Stitches

Spotted out of the corner of my eye sitting atop a freebie newspaper kiosk on lower Fifth Avenue:

How could I not? The retina-popping cover just invites a flip through. Originally published in 1977, this fourth printing in 1985 was once owned by a certain Abby Horowitz. How do I know? She printed her name in the front cover.

I wonder if Abby attempted this bright and cheery checkerboard quilt on the left, or maybe the clever, laundry nook coverup on the right.

This seductive scenario has a macho appeal with its deep blue walls and wooden paneling illuminated by a single chrome fixture. I can almost smell the Jovan Sex Appeal. (And hear the Village People singing in the background!)

And if you've got a room without a view, why make one, of course!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. Woah, I want that sexy "man room" in my own home. All the picture quilts are so colorful and fluffy, I want to sink into them and feel secure. Thanks for sharing this awesome retro book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so bad, but I made something like that room with a view thing back in the 80's. Mine was all gingham and butterflies floating on the wall. We all have to start somewhere, can't all be born with Nate Berkus in the next crib, right? Abby, if I still had it, I'd pledge to find you and send it on to you, but thank heavens I've moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I am showing my age now, but what the heck. I had the 1977 edition of that book. Still might have it and is probably buried beneath a hundred other books I have. I learned a lot about making quilts from that book. That was the year my twins were born. Thank you for bringing back "OLD" memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have lots of books from this era - They are oh so reasonable and full of inspiration. As a matter of fact, I have this very one! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stan,
    I'm pretty sure that was my book! We moved from E.21st Street and 3rd Ave. the summer of 2010. I left a box of books behind and that was one of them. If you still have it, and could take a photo of the inner front cover, I'd know by my handwriting! It's so cool that you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am certain that is your book! I have it stashed away somewhere, but if you'd like it back, just let me know and I'll send it to you. Stan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin