Friday, July 23, 2010

Free Fridays: Finding a New Home

I know that I attach much sentimental value to objects that bring back warm memories of childhood, of my hometown or of far-away family and distant friends. So it is sometimes a melancholy moment when we inherit an item from a loved one who is no longer with us, or from someone whose journey down life's winding path has taken them on a route that doesn't allow them to take all their cherished possessions with them.

I once inherited a set of chairs that a dear friend found on the street in Brooklyn, but then when she picked up and left New York for Texas, I was left with her chairs. Believe me, I was really sad to see her go, and I'm reminded of her every time I pull up one of my heavy, wrought iron garden chairs up to the rickety table in my dining room.

Tabletop guru Bill from Affordable Accoutrements told me the story of how he received this gorgeous white sofa, a side table and a wing chair from a friend's mother who entered assisted living. I can imagine that he accepted the gifts with a tinge of nostalgia, knowing how much the woman must have adored the lovely furniture that she was now forced to part with.

It's obvious to me how Bill has arranged his newfound pieces in a place of distinction. Why, just look at this fabulous, fantasy-filled table setting that he has set in their honor! It's comforting to know that one woman's adored treasures have now found another welcoming home.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

5 comments:

  1. I am a sentimental collector as well Stan. Many things in my home remind me of my childhood or they were passed down to me from my parents and grandparents. Some of them may not fit my decor, but they fit in my heart and fill my mind with warm, loving memories. Now my heart, mind, and home match ~ they are all eclectic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminded me of when my Grandmother downsized to live in a smaller home. Getting family members to take treasures she had collected and had been in the same place in her home for over 50 years. I treasure the plantation desk she gave to me that has such a memory of my Grandfather who ran his business from that desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my grandmother every day when I look at her beautiful jewelry box I inherited. lovely post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, what you have said here makes such perfect sense and it is also very meaningful and well written. I've picked up on a strong sense of nostalgia with my visit here. Thank you.
    Au Revoir,
    ♥Danette

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin