Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Daisy Day

I'm not the kind of guy who often says no. If you ask me to bake a cake, I'm on. Would you like help sprucing up your space on a tight budget? Count on me! Or do you have a hankering for papier mâché volcanos? You have my number!

I love the adventure of a challenge that requires me to step out of my comfort zone and discover untapped creativity. I am by no means a florist. But when my good pal Bevy Smith asked me to create last-minute floral displays for her "Dinner With Bevy" honoring CNN's Soledad O'Brien, I thought, why not? I hit the market to load up on in-season gerber daisies, picked up inexpensive vases and river rock along the way and then raided my box of ribbon to create simple and chic accents.

My one-bedroom apartment was transformed into a flower shop for a day, and these arrangements are the bright and sunny results.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

8 comments:

  1. I think you can know add floral design to your list of can do's. You did a wonderful job. I am a florist so I should know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job!!!!!!Maryanne;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah...thank you so much. I'm certain there are some florist tricks that I should know, but I had fun making these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great...fresh and bright!! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  5. gerbers are my favorite flower! such a sweet simple way to make something lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I recognize that table cloth!!! Bravo!
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. And might I add that the tablecloth came from my anonymous pal Deb who found it in Austin, Texas! It is one of my all-time favorites!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stan....gorgeous flowers.... Do you do weddings? Our son Josh proposed to Becky this week on 12th Avenue and 26th Street.
    The New York Times just happened to catch up with Becky shortly after....see today's New York Times Style Section...Becky is the gal carrying sunflowers in a black and white dress.

    Dianne
    kitsch n Stuff

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin