Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Reuse and Repurpose: Who Lurks There?

You've probably noticed that I have a loyal, anonymous follower who goes by the name of "Lurky." While I now know Lurky's identity, I'm going to keep you guessing until we do a real tour of his retro-iffic Manhattan apartment, to which I was recently invited to for a gleeful get-together.

As I entered the apartment, my breath was taken away by this this gorgeous piece of wall décor recycled out of a book filled with German promotional images. It warms my thrifty heart to see how Lurks (I like to call him that for short) took something destined for the recycling bin and doubly recycled it as a focal point in his living room.

The images were taken from a book called, "German Standards -- Brands of the Century: German Champions in Products and Services from Aspirin to Zeiss." (What a mouthful!) "At first I thought, 'Why would anyone want this book.' But then as I flipped through the pages, I noticed the photo of the gnomes. And then the one of the wurst. Then the lederhosen," Lurks told me. "The graphics and colors really appealed to me, and suddenly I realized I had to have this book."

Not one to deface a treasured tome, Lurks reached deep inside for the courage to attack this discovery with an Xacto knife, carefully removing pages that he would eventually join with colorful paperclips and hang on an empty, white wall. "The finished product is both colorful and whimsical, and it was a great conversation piece at the party," Lurks says. "Best of all, I filled a wall with an art installation that didn't cost me a dime!"

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice write-up! I don't think I've ever been quoted in a blog before :) The photo is small, though... you'll have to come back, Stan, and take some close-up pics so everyone can see the charm of the gnomes.

    And a note to your readers: Stan's pineapple upside-down cake is as delicious as it looks. It was the hit of the party!

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lurky, I admire the patience it took to lovingly remove each page with an Xacto knife. I don't know if I could hold out, even for the sake of excellent design. I love the bold graphic shapes and pops of color, a beautiful statement on a white wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lurks, very nice piece of work. Looks like you guys enjoyed an evening with cake, art, and friends. Can't get much better than that :)
    Au Revoir,
    ♥Danette

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fantastic way to take something small that only one person at a time could enjoy in it's original form....and turn it into something that a whole group can view at once! i'm jealous of lurky getting to enjoy your cake!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin