Friday, June 25, 2010

Gift of Thrift: For the Hostess!

As soon as I'm invited to a get-together, I start searching for a unique serving plate on which to offer my host or hostess one of my signature pineapple upside-down cakes. I try to select one that packs personality and charm so that I can happily leave the service behind as a memento of a cake that is little more than a sweet memory.

I should know better than to worry too much about finding the right platter, because no sooner do I walk into a thrift shop or pop by a garage sale than my dream dish just seems to appear. Such was the case when a certain follower asked me to a barbecue at his new home in New York City. (I won't reveal his identity, as we haven't yet decided if he wants to go public as an avid reader of The Elegant Thrifter!) I was still in Independence, Missouri, when the invite arrived, and of course, I said yes. So my sister and I dropped by the local thrift store, and surprise, this appeared before my eyes:

Oh yes, a late 1960s Culver platter with gold trim, priced at $1.


I'll fill my vintage, pineapple upside-down cake mold like I did in the photo above.


And hopefully, the results will look something like this. Now all I have to decide is whether I'll use a mix or my favorite recipe. Now that will be my little secret.

Have a fun-filled weekend!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter



9 comments:

  1. And you are coming to Atlanta when? I'm sure you can carry a pineapple upside-down cake on a plane. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful platter indeed! Leaving the platter as a gift for the host is a fun, unique idea (And I hate taking those things home and cleaning them anyway -cough, cough-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ordinarily, I would be jealous of the recipient of such a fabulous plate, but this time I think I'm going to be the lucky recipient. I love it! It will fit in well with my jadeite Fire King pieces. And I can't wait to finally taste one of your famous cakes. (You get extra points for baking in this heat!)

    Looking forward to seeing you!
    Lucky Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stan...

    Ohhh...I love the Culver platter! What a great find...and for just $1! I'm thinking your signature Pineapple Upside Down cake will look fabulous on this pretty plate...what a great hostess gift! Thank you for sharing your beautiful find with us!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    PS...thanks for stopping by and taking a peek at my wildflower bouquet and leaving such a nice note!

    ReplyDelete
  5. any host or hostess would be lucky as can be to add a gift of your choosing to his/her collection....the rest of us can only dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Duncan Hines is my go-to guy. No one will know!

    Love the dish -- and it's a lovely way to present a host or hostess with a thoughtful gift. Your next book should be, "How To Be A Good Guest."

    Best wishes, Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your idea! I think you could do this with a vase too. Fill a vase with flowers and leave it there. No baking involved (for those among us who have a lazy streak).
    ♥Danette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea for a host/hostess gift! You are so clever and thoughtful, Stan!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello , my blog is one year old. Good reason to celebrate birthday. I organize a raffle, I would be glad if you would choose an object, which is then raffled among all participants. All are invited. Regards Jürgen.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin