Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Find: Set Your Budget

When shopping for vintage and thrift, all the low prices make it easy to over spend, even when the objects you're purchasing cost pennies on the dollars.

One way that I am able to keep from overspending is to collect all my change and save it specifically for going to garage sales. Then, I gather it in a plastic bag, and once it's gone, well it's gone!

I had saved up a Zip-Loc bag full of change, and it lasted a full week on my visit to Kansas City, where I spent a little less than $15. Here's a portion of it that set me back $3.75. Yes, that's a piece of J & G Meakin ironstone underneath the Missouri plate.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous

The Elegant Thrifter


7 comments:

  1. What a great tip....now where are those zip lock bags!
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Kansas City...what other places did you go? There are always good finds at River Market Antique Mall, though nothing trumps a yard sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!!! Enjoying it living in Paris... Fantastic ...fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe in Kansas City but here, in the SF bay area, change is completely worthless. Prices start at $1, even at garage sales. I don't think you can get away with using change in NYC can you?
    Adieu,
    ♥Danette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have saved me! What a great idea. I always end up spending waaay too much. I'm going to go and round up my change now.
    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always keep a small amount of cash on me, but I'm inspired to carry even less and to really round up the change for my next thrift adventure. Awesome tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what it is, but you always make me giggle when you mention your ziplock coin bag!
    I understand your tactic for using it though. I always carry a handmade wristlet coinpurse for the same reason. Fill it and when its gone, its gone, end of shopping trip! Wristlet is extra handy, keeps my hands free for browsing and coins close for quick buying!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin