Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Find: Arty Artifacts


I like to imagine that sifting through goodies at a garage sale is very much like an architectural dig. Removal of the first layer doesn't always reveal a treasure. But then you carefully pull out items until you reach to the bottom of a box and find something that is deep-down part of your history that you can't believe what your holding in your hands. (Or in a Zip-Loc bag in this instance!)

When I was creating imagery for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, I asked my party pro pals Michael Quinn and Heather Kerr to throw a theme party that we could document. They came up with the dazzling idea of a vintage tailgate party and ran with the theme that they wove into everything from the hand-made invitations to the collegiate tabletop displays, which included football plastic helmets that were used to spear finger foods within a copious spread of autumnal treats.

Jump ahead two years or so. Michael and Heather decided that they simply had too much stuff in their respective apartments so they decided to throw a stoop sale last weekend in Carroll Gardens. They offered odd Christmas ornaments, paper porkpies, frosted, fruit strands -- and yes -- an artifact meant for The Find: the plastic football helmets. While the food picks didn't make it in the printed copy of the book, I had to have them for 75 cents. What will I do with them? Maybe I should offer them as a giveaway. What do you think?

Come back and visit me tomorrow for a video of my shopping experience at Heather and Michael's stupendous stoop sale.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter




1 comment:

  1. I found some of these at our house too, only they were papier mache helmets that Charles made when he was a kid. He couldn't always get the plastic ones from the teams he liked, so he made his own. They are adorable and one of my favorite treasures. They will be in Izzy's room soon!!
    xoxo
    deb

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin