Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: State of Estates


I am still in awe of all the fun to be found in Kansas City, Missouri-area garage and estate sales where you can still turn up the most amazing pieces for next to nothing. The story behind this cheery plate is no exception.

So I'm in an estate sale and start to marvel over this this cake pedestal. I pick it up, turn it over, see that it was made in Japan and make a guess that it's probably from the late 1960s or early 1970s. I take it to the woman sitting at a card table checking customers out and ask her how much she wants for it. "Oh, anything that's not labeled is 50 cents," she says. I happily reach into my Zip-Loc bag filled with coins and start to hand over my change when she says. "Oh no, that's 25 cents. Everything is half off today!"

I can't wait to put a pineapple upside-down cake on this treasure that reveals its messages as the dessert starts to disappear.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter


6 comments:

  1. My Birthday month isn't until March, but I can TOTALLY celebrate a half Birthday if that is what it takes to get you here and making me a cake in my kitchen. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know they say that "everything's like a dream in kansas city" but i think 25 cents for that adorable plate is more than dreaming....it's out of this world! what a cute find! have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I desperately need to take a trip to K.C.

    ~Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, lots of amazing finds in the mid-west!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a fabulous cake plate! I can't believe you only paid a quarter for it!
    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! What an awesome story-I absolutely love it-what a treasure for every "Birthday Cake"!!
    love it,
    love it,
    LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin