Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Bowled Over

If there's a flea market somewhere along New York City's subway line, or better yet, within walking distance, you can almost bet I'll be there. However, here's one I missed out in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn last weekend -- The Carroll Park Flea Market -- and wow, look at the lovelies all lined up on the corner of just one table!

My good pal Robert Allen dropped in and sent me this charming photo filled with all the things that tug at my heartstrings: an old Family Circle magazine, a Porky Pig drinking glass, some vintage refrigerator dishes and two stacks of colorful Pyrex mixing bowls beckoning from afar. Robert laid down $14 for one of the green bowls to replace one missing from his sister's set.

Next week, however, rest assured that I'll be hitting the garage sales in the Kansas City area when I go home to visit my family for Father's Day. My own sister is ready to put her new GPS device to the test of snooping out new sales, and I can't wait to see what treasures we'll discover.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter


8 comments:

  1. That beautiful, colorful pile of retro bits is indeed beguiling. What a tease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that photo would make perfect wallpaper for the laptop! what a heap of fabulous stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo! I love the vintage refrigerator dishes and have been collecting them for years. I collect only the clear or white ones with no pattern. They make a very pretty display and I use them everyday.

    Can't wait to see what you find in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would of loved to get my hands on those bowls. Call me nostalgic but I covet them. I remember when my mom had her fair share. Thanks for posting. Brought back good memories of being in the kitchen with my mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH BOY! Pyrex is like a siren's call...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I moved last week and donated 15 huge boxes to a Housing Works thrift store. But I couldn't part with a single pyrex bowl or refrigerator dish -- the ones that were my mother's are especially near and dear to my heart.

    Hope you have a fun visit with your family -- and find a bounty of good stuff.

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my mom's pyrex bowls plus an extra red and yellow one. Now I'll be looking for another green and blue one to make another wholeset.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG...I would be in Heaven if i came along a stash like that. I really would have bought one of each...wonder how the prices were in Brooklyn?

    Dianne
    kitsch n Stuff

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin