Friday, May 21, 2010

The Gift of Thrift: Taking the Cake

Anytime a package arrives from my good pal Ruth Handel, you can bet it's going to contain a surprise that I will absolutely adore. Well this little arrival just takes the cake!

Ruth knows that I'm an amateur baker, so when I'm not making pineapple upside-down cakes or tunnel of fudge bundts, I like to whip up a layer cake covered in rich butter cream. What better way to make that confection all the more lovely than with this Ateco Decorating Comb, which I think dates back to the late 1950s or early 1960s, based on its 55-cent price tag from a little shop called Williams Sonoma.

I like how the packaging touts "simple quick decorating of pastries and cakes," that will "give your cake that 'finished' look!!!" I think it's funny how "finished" is in quotation marks. Is it not really finished? Or just sort-of finished? Is it a euphemism for something that I can't figure out? Who knows! And I love how excited they are to make this announcement on the packaging -- so much so they had to use three exclamation points.

I think I would be, too!!!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


8 comments:

  1. I've actually used one of these and they work great !!! (yes, with THREE exclamation marks) 8-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the quotation marks! Big time in vintage ads, they say the widest things and then put quotes around the craziest things.

    Qualifiers, I suppose :)

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been baking for years, I had no idea I've never "finished" anything. lol

    Ok so now we need pics of what you do with this ultra elegant finisher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you can also use that wonderful tool for "combing" paint on painted walls or decorative papers. But you have to either choose the cake or the paint and not both! LOL

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun gift!!!!The package is too! Enjoy it!!Maryanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the gift... just darling... but i will take the cake... anytime!

    my grams always made pineapple upside down cake ... will you share your recipe? i will ask my mother for hers... we can compare notes and have a bake off... he he xx pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I followed you over from Lana's (Simple Joys). What a great gift!!! (three exclamation points for that one)...have fun using the comb, and "finishing" your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Stan, I just saw your interview at the Vintage Laundress and just had to come and say thank you for sharing all that Dolly fabulousness with us. I seriously LOVE her - not only for her amazing talent but her authenticity. There's no one like her and it was so much fun to see your unique collection! BTW, did you see her on Oprah the other day? She just gets better and better. I'm currently trying to talk my husband into going to Dollywood(!) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin