Friday, May 28, 2010

Free Fridays: Sur le trottoir

Did you ever have a day when a certain theme or motif popped up so many times that you felt someone was trying to tell you something? A few weeks ago, I had been missing my annual trip to France, yet it seemed like everybody I know was talking about something French.

A friend was traveling to Paris, and I offered her her tips on off-the-beaten-path destinations. I also happened to be on a major '80s French pop kick where all I wanted to listen to were the old hits I remember from my days as a university student in Bordeaux. And I had just finished reading The Private World of Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé, the monumental tome packed with images from the duo's grand residences. So clearly, France was heavily on my mind, and I was feeling a little blue that I couldn't be there.

I find myself moping along Broadway, and this is what I see on the street:



It was just lying there, face up, as if someone had placed it right there on the sidewalk for me. I picked up my little discovery, looked around to see if anybody was watching and then stuck it in my bag.


Once I got home, I started flipping through the pages featuring this royal estate outside of Paris that has harbored queens, kings and even a pope. There are several full-color pages of gorgeous rooms likethe salle du trône pictured here. I went to the fabulous residence once while I was visiting Paris, but have never entered its doors, so I enjoyed the mini-tour I took while lounging on my sofa.

As I was flipping through this little book, I reached the end and was halted by this image:

Clearly, the surrounding grounds and forests are awe inspiring, but apparently, at least in 1967, it was also a destination for mountain climbers who have "discovered that the sandstone blocks of Fountainebleau offer difficulties comparable to the classic passages of the most famous climbs....Roped together, wearing rope-soled or hob-nailed shoes, they go there in groups and prepare their future exploits on a miniature scale."

Bon weekend!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. I love this...these things happen to me all the time...they are wonderful little gifts that we receive if we pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See! You ended up with a little bit of France after all!!!!Maryanne ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin