Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Find: The Right Type

This blue Smith Corona typewriter in the window of Papél, a stationery shop in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, reminded me of the green one I used to use when I was a journalism student at the University of Missouri -- Columbia. I wasn't the first one to use it, since it had also belonged to my dad, who used it when he was in college.

I typed out so many term papers and writing assignments on that typewriter while sitting at the vintage desk I talked about in The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects and Vintage Details.

I don't know if my dad still has that old typewriter, but my sister now has the old wooden desk in her home office. As I recounted in The Find, I bought that hulking piece of furniture at a thrift store in Independence, Missouri when I was 19 and hauled it home in a 1977 four-door, powder blue Chevy Chevette for my dad to lovingly refinish.

You can tell it's an exceptionally sturdy piece of furniture since I was able to sit right on top of it for the author photo that Bob Greenspan snapped for The Find.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. I love all the memories your posts evoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stan,
    I have three vintage typewriters and love them all for various reasons. The oldest just looks so cool sitting as part of a vignette in the lake house...love its form. The second one has wonderful type...love to use it to type words for art projects and stuff. The third one is just like the one I had in college back in the early 70's....nostalgia...I certainly remember typing all those old papers...AND, my husband's papers too! Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Stay well!
    :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny when we look back at our university days and realize just how time has changed? I plugged away on a word processor and I think how funny it is that I didn't have a computer!

    I'm a huge fan of vintage type writers, they make excellent funky decor items for a home! Last year when my 16 year old nephew from Oklahoma was visiting me in Europe, he started typing his Great American Novel on a 1945 model and now 2 years later he's almost completed his work of art on the vintage type writer he bought when he returned home to America. He says he just feels like Fitzgerld when he hears the clickity-clack of the keys and it's so much more inspiring to write on that the modern day computer!

    Toma

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin