Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Find: Make a Thrifting Kit

One of the most popular features in The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details is a little sidebar about how to create a thrift shopping kit. Since you never know when you're going to come upon a driveway loaded with goodies or spy a thrift store teeming with wonders, it's good to have your kit ready for that moment the thrifting bug bites!

First, contain your thrifting kit in something small, such as a plastic tackle box, a zippered fabric envelope or even a canvas tote. Check out thrift stores for ideas on how to contain your kit. I'm certain you'll find tons! Just make sure that whatever you choose has room for the following:

• A good tape measure that measures at least 8 to 10 feet.

• A small digital camera that is easy to use. If you' re unsure of purchasing an item, you can document for further consideration. However, be warned: Your discovery will most likely be gone if you wait too long to claim it.

•Dry wipes, such as Swiffer, which are capable of discretely removing dirt and grime and potentially revealing a treasure that others have passed by.

• A hand sanitizer. There's so much dusty and dirty stuff that you'll feel liberated to touch and investigate everything if you know that later you'll be able to wash your hands easily.

• A design notebook that's filled with budgets, wish lists, room measurements, color chips, design inspiration and fabric swatches. You'll have easy reference when you're waffling between what you need to complete a design project and something that you simply just love!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter



4 comments:

  1. I love it!! Especially the dry wipes suggestion - you can just rub so much off with the tip of your finger and then - well yuk! I also try to grab a business card from where ever I'm visiting and tape it in my notebook as a reminder of where I've been and what kind of "stuff" they're carrying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great suggestions! I keep the hand sanitizer in my center console, so that it is the first thing I do when leaving my favorite junkin' haunts...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent list! Especially like the Swiffer idea; will incorporate into my adventures toot sweet! I'm with Emom...hand sanitizer in the car at all times. For thrifters of clothes, I've heard tell that carrying a Tide or other brand stain-removing laundry pen has helped them bag fabulous clothing/fabric items. Once they were assured the stain would come out, the goodies went home with them instead of being left behind as damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!
    However, I'm usually transporting so much good junk that I can't FIND my thrifting kit in all the mess!

    Occupational hazard. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin