Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Find: Going,Going....


Isn't it amazing that no matter how hard we try, most of us simply have too much stuff? I'm not talking about the extreme of being a hoarder and packing a room to the ceiling with everything from used mattresses and plastic bags full of old clothes to boxes of magazines and every take-out container you've used over the past 10 years!

But how many times have you asked yourself, "I don't need that chair because it's sitting on top of my kitchen table?" Or "Maybe I should pass along that mirrored disco ball that I have rolled under the bed?" If you're Randall Beale, half of the Beale-Lana design team, you've got so many fabulous things that you simply can't put them all in your clients' home fast enough. When Randall moved recently, he found himself overloaded with amazing treasures. So instead of selling them off he donated them to Housing Works to offer lucky shoppers who attended the organization's annual benefit, Design on a Dime.

You might recognize some of the items for sale in the Beale-Lana booth from The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea market Objects, and Vintage Details, which were photographed by Jim Franco. The black and white chair is a Beale-Lana original, and was waiting to be snatched up by a lucky shopper for almost one-tenth its original price. You may wonder why this chair is covered in white spots. Those aren't spots; they're simply reflections from a familiar disco ball across the way, of course!



















The ball resting by this Bertoia diamond chair (also from Housing Works) was a fun find from Manhattan's Canal Street. This shimmering relic perched atop an outdoor planter was also up for grabs at Design on a Dime. (Randall, my dear friend, if you're wondering why I
cropped you out of the photo, it's because the image I took looked nothing like you! Unfortunately, my photographic skills were waning the other night. ) video
Last summer, I took a tour of Randall's home for LXTV's "Open House." And since he's moved and consolidated, I thought I'd share with you one last peak of his fabulous, East Side residence.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. I hear you... about too many treasures but not hoarding crap... just too much stuff. I'm trying to find the best way to sell mine too!
    What about you? Do you have too much stuff too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that a arrangement clectic in a apartment is ideal. It is very important that your home reflects your character and it is personal. I have collected so many objects probably why I've become at the end seller. Many regards Jürgen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin