Monday, May 17, 2010

The Find: A Bowl Full of Goodness!

I was looking around my apartment the other day and notieced that somewhat magically, without trying, I've gathered some of my favorite things inside one of my favorite things placed atop one of my favorite things!

I picked up the Homer Laughlin bowl for 75 cents at Housing Works because it looked like the kind of dish that one would serve green beans in. I have it placed atop a decoupaged platter from the fabulous John Derian.

Inside the bowl, starting clockwise from center, is a pink, Citroën Deux Cheveaux Corgi car that my dad gave me when I was in first or second grade. Below it is a Monkees Corgi car that the proprietor of a thrift shop in Connecticut offered me last spring. Beside it is a package of round Las Vegas coasters my decorator friend Mark Ciolli gave me, reminding me of how when I was a fashion editor, I was in Sin City no fewer than four times a year! And I don't even gamble!
Then there's a medley of cookie cutters that I bought at a yard sale for 75 cents, bringing back childhood memories of cutting out of sugar cookies that were lucky to come out of the oven unburned!

You can hardly see it, but there is also the "S" from a miniature weather vane attached to a note from the amazing visual virtuosos Michael Quinn and Heather Kerr. You can see the top of Heather's head on the note peeking out above the cookie cutters. And finally, there are my beloved "Little Forks" that my dad found at an estate sale in my hometown of Independence, Missouri, and shipped them to me in New York.

You could call this group of goodies a collection even though individually they have very little in common except that they all relate to me in some way. I like keeping all my treasures handy in this bowl, for who knows when I might need to serve an hors d'œuvre with a mini-fork or cut out some cookies at the last minute. But mostly, there right where they are so that I can rummage through them for a serving of creative inspiration or a dose of comforting memories.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. i love the red car of the 70ties, they bring good memories. when i was child i have a lot of them in many colours....long time ago...thank you regards jürgen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I have a lot of small treasures that I love to have close by because of the memories they elicit. How nice to have a bowlful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the spoons that match the forks -- love em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I love the pink citreon car!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin