Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Tray Fun

With the arrival of warm weather, my appetite for a good garage sale has mushroomed. The problem is that here in New York City people don't have yards, let alone an empty garage to set up shop and unload their unwanted goods. So the next best thing is a stoop sale where people sell their wares on the front steps of their buildings.

Imagine how my curiosity was piqued when I saw a sign in Brooklyn advertising a "gate" sale that promised all kinds of vintage goodies -- so much so that I got up the next morning and hopped a Brooklyn-bound train to follow the signs I'd spied the previous evening. It took a little hunting, but we found it, and here's the take, all for $6!

You saw the tray from Sweden House on Monday, but that wasn't even half of my discovery. There was a mysterious Cuban doll; a set of four, plastic framed ballet prints from Woolworth, still with their four-cent price tag on the back; two Baccardi swizzle sticks also from Cuba; a cheery candy tin; and finally a demonic looking cross stitched dancer in a golden frame. May I repeat? $6!

Relish these delights, if you will, and take a peek at the little video I made of my trying to find this elusive sale and the ah-ha moment of discovery!

video

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. Tres uber fab, indeed!

    I guess I'm completely spoiled down South, when there are PAGES of garage and yard sales every weekend. Fun sale!

    Oh, and just so you know, I completely heart you for spelling "piqued" correctly! That's a huge peeve of mine (don't even get me started on "definately")

    Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab video! Love the excitement and hush in your voice! It absolutely made me feel like I was hunting treasure! And look at the loot you found! Now what are you doing with all your chic finds?
    So, so fun to visit you.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan, I wonder if we were at the same stoops sale.I found myself in Park Slope, Brooklyn over the weekend and I too wondered about the "space" issue and the novelty of a stoop sale.

    While in Park Slope I found this great retro shop called "Under The Pig". Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am in hunting out a bargain mode for my house.

    I have started to visit Boot sales (this is in the Uk where people fill there cars up with things they want to sell and congregate in a field somewhere)

    I have bought a fabulous retro metal teapot for £1 and a 1960 tea service for £5. they would cost about £30 in a shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anyone wants me to come shopping with them, why, let me know, and we'll make a video!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin