Monday, April 19, 2010

The Object of My Desire: A Triumphant Arch

I've told you before how it's always this time of year that my heart yearns for Paris. I just want to cash in all my frequent travel points, hop on a plane and just wander around for a few days under the Parisian sky as the days start to lengthen and life becomes energized after a long winter.

One of my favorite tourist sites is the Arc de Triomphe. During all the times I've visited Paris it wasn't until the last time that I actually went to the top of the arch. In fact, it had been closed for so long under renovation, I don't think I even knew it was possible.

Once I read about the renovation, I was determined to visit it, and to this day, I still think it's my favorite view of Paris. Now don't get me wrong. J'adore la tour Eiffel! I love wandering around the city, possibly getting lost, and then looking for the fabled tower to help me find my way. I am mesmerized standing underneath its enormous four feet and looking at the clouds moving through its metal grid. But honestly, when I went to the top, I was so afraid of the height coupled with all the openness of the structure that I really didn't enjoy the experience.

That brings me back to my beloved l'Arc de Triomphe. Situated right in the middle of Place de l'Étoile, it's high enough that you see sweeping views all around but low enough that you can see all the details below. (Let me warn you though, there is no ascenseur, so taking the stairs is a must!) What's more, it's situated in the middle of streets that form the shape of a star. How glamorous!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful photo Stan! I hope you can make it back to Paris soon. :)
    That's a dream of mine and my daughter's ~ to visit Paris someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words make me want to go to Paris RIGHT NOW! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! To think I have never been there...your words always make me feel like I am strolling the streets with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'v always loved the Arch! The First time I ever saw it was in Anastasia when they are dancing on top, It was magical! I hope to go someday and this post only fuels that ambition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour Stan,
    I agree 100% - la Tour Eiffel is great but the view from the Arc is also one of my favorites. The view is spectacular at night!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! Last year I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, and was disappointed... There aren't many places where you can experience vertigo and claustrophobia at the same time.

    The view from the top of Notre Dame is great too, and all your pics will have gargoyles in them!

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  7. you & me mon ami, a trip to paris is what we both need, how have you been, stop by & say hi :) gio

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin