Friday, April 23, 2010

Free Fridays: All Boxed Up

On my way to the gym one day earlier this week, I noticed this box, which at the time was filled with these little, mysterious plastic bags. Being New York, it's crazy the stuff you see on the street, so unless it appeals to me in a split second, I just walk on by. So it wasn't until my trip back home that I saw the letters "FREE" written in marker on the box lid, and the considerably fewer number of bags remaining inside.

Upon further inspection, I realized that the bags each held broken pieces of art charcoal, which made sense because it was practically on the stoop of an art supply shop. And, of course, I helped myself to a bag of coal. At other times of the year, it could be a symbol of being naughty. But on that sunny day, I felt pretty nice!

Do you have a free find you'd like to share? If so, email me a photo and your story to theelegantthrifter@gmail.com!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


4 comments:

  1. Perhaps some thrifty artsy New Yorkers grabbed that gift coal and whipped up some sidewalk murals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are smart, thrifty, and always light on your feet when you see " for free " I can relate. Just found a chair, just a block off Melrose Place, on the curb. Details later, off to Mexico. Be back in a week with a burn, hangover, and Mexican blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stan .. I stumbled upon you somehow on that rabbit hole called Twitter ... so glad I did ! Looking forward to more from your fabulous blog ! xo, lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man! I never see "For Free" boxes in Chicago. I used to always see them when I lived in the South, but never here. I'm coveting your charcoal!
    Denise
    http://frugalluxe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin