Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Find: Give Me a Buzz!

Last summer when I was celebrating the work of Maison Rêve's Yasmine McGrane on the cover of The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, I puttered around in the back room of her shop and landed upon this old aqua rotary phone.

I can't remember the last time I used a rotary phone, but always remember feeling handicapped as a kid when it came to attempting to be the 10th caller to win a prize from the local radio station. Dolly Parton tickets? Forget it. Go-Gos's tickets? Never. Worlds of Fun passes? No way! I never won any of them, and blamed it on all the touch-tone callers who beat me to the prize.

It's funny how today, a simple phone call in itself is becoming a rare occasion. Sometimes, you even feel like you're invading somebody's space by calling them up, even when their number is clearly printed on the business card they themselves offered you. "Oh, just email or FaceBook me," is a common response.

But then, sometimes when you do take the moment to actually make someone's phone ring, you -- surprise -- reach the person with whom you wish to speak! I love it when that happens. Or you see a mysterious number show up on your caller ID, you hesitate to answer it, but then you do and low and behold, it's someone you really want to chat with. Maybe they relay the news of a fun gathering or even have word of a promising professional proposal. Those are the kind of phone calls I like!

Here's hoping that your phone rings with some fantastic news this week!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. Love the color. If it were in my kitchen, I'd give you a call to chat it up, and do a few exercizes while on the phone for my rotary finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the Casablanca was wired for telephone last summer I had to search EVERYWHERE for a "kitchen wall" rotary phone! I finally found one on ebay and snatched it up. I love watching my friends stand in front of it holding the reciver with a confused look on their face trying to punch a rotary dial, also the "light bulb turning on" Ahhhhhh When I spin the dial for them : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one sweet phone! I found an aqua Princess phone at a garage sale last summer, and although the ringer doesn't work, I absolutely loooove it. And I don't make calls with it, because it takes too long to dial. So spoiled, aren't we?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hasta hace muy poco tuve uno en casa, pero al final era muy poco práctico. Ahora sólo tengo buenos recuerdos.
    Afortunadamente mis amigos no han perdido la buena costumbre de llamar. Internet nunca es lo mismo! No se molestan (todavía) una llamada en cualquier momento.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a red rotary phone and love it! I especially love it when little kids come over and ask what it is!

    I remember the first push button phone I ever saw was on "The Courtship of Eddie's Father", my brother and I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that phone, such a fab colour! I know what you mean about feeling like invading when making phone calls, most contact these days is by SMS, Facebook and email, I miss having a good old chin-wag!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin