Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Find: Freshly Brewed

Here's a toast with cups of coffee to the creative guys behind Fred Flare for turning a bunch of Chock Full o' Nuts coffee cans into a collection that becomes a focal point in their kitchen.

As I was scouting Chris Bick and Keith Carollo's Chelsea digs for my book The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, I snapped this photo of coffee cans gathered atop their kitchen cabinets. The graphic installation brought to mind the way that Andy Warhol glamorized everyday objects and turned them into his signature pop art. And it proved, once again, that you can create a collection out of just about anything, as long as you are consistent either in theme, color, shape, size or nomenclature.

While this group does convey a sense of wackiness, it also offers visual appeal in and area of a kitchen that's often ignored to gather dust in a rental apartment. The clever group arranged in an attractive pyramid also detracts from the cracks in the ceiling, and, well, makes me want to brew up a cup of java!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed when I visit others and see what they create out of everyday objects. Sometimes it's inspirational, sometimes I wonder why I can't do that. As a s coffee lover, I can truly appreciate this. Very cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it!
    And, you know.....
    "Chock Full 'O Nuts is the Heavenly Coffee, Better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin