Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Fabulous & Frugal Fun: Into the Tunnel


Originally, I was going to share with you a video of my making the fabled "Tunnel of Fudge" cake in my Nordic Ware bundt pan. However, time got away from me , and the video won't be ready until next week. In the meantime, here's a picture of me with my bundt pan, and a link tothe recipe that I used from the Nordic Ware Web site. (You can see the top of Dolly Parton's hair in my lucky baking T-shirt, which, as you will learn, sort of helped my fortune in the kitchen.)

Now I have a big bundt question for you: if you make this cake, do you have any hints on how to keep it from sticking in the pan? I buttered and flowered as instructed, and followed the mixing and baking directions to a tee. But when I tried to remove the pan, well, you'll see next week the mess! I will say, however, that despite the cake wanting to stay forever inside its bundt pan, it was absolutely delicious! A boxed cake cannot compare.

Come on back next Wednesday, and my video should be completely done. Now if it "sticks," that's another story!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

10 comments:

  1. Okay, so, I consulted my cooking expert (my Mom) and she wondered if you had let it cool in the pan for longer than 5 or 10 minutes. If so, she suggested that you place it back in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or so to to warm it and melt some of the sugars that are making it stick to the pan. Then remove it place a cooling rack on top of the pan and then flip it and slap it down on the counter and shake it a little.

    xoxo,
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I think you should allow the pan to cool completely before flipping it. As the cake cools, it will pull away from the sides.

    Have you tried cooking spray on the pan, and then dusting it with cake flour (or sugar) before adding the batter? For the chocolate batter, you could dust the pan with cocoa powder. Or you could just chuck the pan and get a silicone bundt.

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  3. if it breaks apart?! well, that's why god invented the trifle dish -- layer it with some whipped cream & dark choc bits, etc [and ship it in dry ice to kc]! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually cooling helps. I can't wait to see the bundt cake post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always coat the sides of the pan with just a little veggie oil. (just enough to say its there) and it slides right out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coat with real butter and flour and invert onto a plate right out of the oven to cool. It will just drop right out within a minute or two.

    And it doesn't hurt to run a knife around the edge first too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have a williams sonoma bundt cake pan that looks like the top of a cathedral (yard sale find of the day!!!!) but i've never actually made a cake in it because of all the little grooves and niches. so afraid it would totally stick. i'm going to try the vintage laundress's suggestion about putting it back in the oven and we'll keep our fingers crossed. oh and anybody who loves dolly is a friend of mine...we're from the same neck of the woods!

    Kate a' la Southern Belle Simple

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with not letting it cool too long and using a bit of canola oil to grease the pan.

    Than being said...if you want to send me the recipe I can post it before you even post your video clip! Mwahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, great - now you have me wanting to bake a Tunnel of Fudge cake, too. I've been baking way too much. But it's so darned fun to sample the results!

    ReplyDelete
  10. try lining
    the pan with greaseproof paper ,even if you have to cut small bits. I use this method all the time and I never butter or flour the pan.Have a go and see if it works for you. I make a cake every 2 or 3 days and have been doing so for 25 years and have no problems.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin