Monday, March 15, 2010

The Object of My Desire: Sitting Around


As the weather starts to warm, it's images like this that start to come to mind, triggering the urge to throw off the sweaters and coats in anticipation of longer days and a sunnier disposition. Until last year when I went to the Round Top market in Texas with my pal LeAnn Stephenson, The Vintage Laundress, I had never seen such a gathering of metal porch furniture as this one just hanging out in a field along the highway. The collection was phenomenal: shell rockers for as far as the eye could see and gliders of every shape and size.

Isn't it funny how objects, like these once-discarded pieces of metal furniture, can instantly tap into our memory banks? These reminded me of my Grandma Churchill's front porch, which was the summertime living room where her metal lounger was the perfect spot eat drippy watermelon, watch Fourth-of-July fireworks displays, churn homemade ice cream or just lounge about on a lazy summer day.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter



7 comments:

  1. Love that old metal lawn furniture! I have a growing collection spread throughout my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pic makes me desperate to sit in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Desire too! I do beleieve my eyes just popped out of my head~! Haha Im really digging the fan/ star backed chair in the center. I also LOVE the "pie crust" backed chairs directly behind it! I think I may have shared I have this great talent of spotting Lawn Chairs from 500 feet away haha! However I need to start closing my eyes, with 27 pieces and growing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but did you BUY any of the chairs? I'd find that hard to pass up!
    __
    Barbara
    http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just seeing the word "glider" takes me back to my family's front porch on the Jersey shore. If I close my eyes, I can smell the salt air and hear the creak of the rusting springs.

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the old chairs! I understand the Round Top Market is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to do both-- go to the Round Top Market and meet up with the Vintage Laundress.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin